Part of any independent artist’s routine is artist development. While you may not have access to a team telling you what to do, how to dress, and what to share on your social media, big names and professionals are sharing that information for FREE in the form of podcasts independent artists need to tune in for.
This week, the Photobombshell Media team rounded up some of our favorite podcasts for independent artists and is sharing them here. With powerful content on marketing, sales, personal finance, licensing, touring, and more, these podcasts will set you up for success if you listen and take action on the lessons provided. Class is in session!
Listen to Expert Tips and Insights with these Podcasts for Independent Artists
1. The DIY Musician Podcast: The DIY Musician Podcast is a podcast produced by CD Baby, a digital distribution company for independent musicians. The podcast, hosted by Kevin Breuner, a musician and marketer who is also the Vice President of Marketing at CD Baby, and occasionally features Chris Robley, a jazz musician and writer turned editor at CD Baby, repeatedly shows up at the top of the list.
The show covers topics related to independent music, focusing on DIY (Do-It-Yourself) strategies and techniques artists can use to promote, distribute, and monetize their music. Concepts tackled in this podcast include music marketing, fan engagement, social media, streaming, copyright, licensing, and touring.
2. Music Business Hacks: Music Business Hacks is a podcast for independent artists on the daily habits of self-made musicians. During its run, Simon Tam, author of “Music Business Hacks: The Daily Habits of the Self-Made Musician” served as the show host.
From 2018-2022, the podcast offered tips and strategies for musicians looking to build a successful career in the music industry. This podcast appears to have ended or taken a long hiatus, but the contents are clear, concise, and provide lots of value for independent musicians. Topics of this podcast include but are not limited to creating a tour budget, fitness for musicians, and how to dominate a niche market.
3. The Musician’s Guide to Being Healthy, Wealthy, and Wise: The Musician’s Guide to Being Healthy, Wealthy, and Wise is hosted by Karen Cubides, CEO of Karen Cubides Agency. This podcast aims to serve modern musicians by providing everything artists need to level up holistically, from insider tips and marketing strategies to how health and wellness can impact performance.
This podcast is published weekly and features music industry professionals and top performers sharing their experiences and strategies.
4. The Music Marketing Manifesto Podcast: This podcast provides in-depth discussions on music marketing strategies and interviews with successful independent musicians. The podcast aims to help independent musicians improve their marketing efforts and business strategies.
The Music Marketing Manifesto Podcast is hosted by John Oszajca, a music marketing expert, former major label recording artist, and direct-to-fan marketing professional.
5. The Creative Juice Podcast: The Creative Juice Podcast is one of the highest-ranking music marketing podcasts available on streaming platforms. As Full Stack Creative’s flagship podcast, the Creative Juice Podcast goes in-depth into subjects like music marketing strategies for growing and monetizing a fan base.
The Creative Juice Podcast is hosted by Jack McCarthy and Ed Isola and is released weekly.
6. New Music Business: New Music Business is the #1 music industry podcast to help keep you in the loop, according to Spotify, and is hosted by Ari Herstand of “Ari’s Take.” The weekly podcast focuses on “the tools, tactics, and strategies that listeners can use to run successful careers of their own.”
7. Music Production Podcast: This one is for producers and aspiring producers. The Music Production Podcast is “an exploration of music production through informal discussions about technique, philosophy, gear, creativity, and productivity.” The Music Production Podcast is hosted by Brian Funk, a musician, producer, songwriter, and Ableton Certified Trainer.
8. The Business Side of Music: Hosted by Bob Bender, this podcast features interviews with industry experts on topics such as marketing, promotion, and distribution. As one of the most listened-to music business podcasts, this podcast should prove valuable to all independent artists with topics ranging from touring logistics to music entrepreneurship. With weekly releases, you can catch a new episode of this podcast every Tuesday.
9. The Cheat Code Podcast: The Cheat Code Podcast is released every Wednesday, hosted by three GOATS on a mission to change the game. Wendy Day, founder of Rap Coalition, Rapjuggernaut, a master strategist and culture ambassador, and Ferrari Simmons, Music Director and Curator/Influencer Extraordinaire, educate and empower artists weekly. Topics covered include how to succeed in the music business, building a fan base, music industry misconceptions, and more.
10. The Profitable Musician Show: The Profitable Musician Show is a podcast centered on building and creating financial stability and success through your music career and multiple income streams. Listeners will learn up-to-date tactics to grow your four cornerstone income streams: recording and releasing music, performing and live streaming, teaching and coaching, and recurring revenue. 13 This podcast publishes on a biweekly schedule hosted by award-winning podcaster, a music marketing and business coach, and best-selling author of “The Musician’s Profit Path,” Bree Noble.
Ready to Tune In?
With so many aspects of the music industry to focus on, there are endless resources for DIY and independent artists looking to level up. Which of these podcasts is your favorite? Let us know in the comments!
- “About.” Brian Funk, https://brianfunk.com/about.
- “About.” DIY Musician Podcast. (2023 April 2). CD Baby. https://podcast.cdbaby.com/who-we-are/.
- “About” Music Business Hacks Podcast (2023 April 2). https://musicbusinesshacks.com/about/.
- Bree Noble is a music marketing & business coach. “Articles by Bree Noble: For Musicians: Bandzoogle Blog.” Articles by Bree Noble | For Musicians | Bandzoogle Blog, https://bandzoogle.com/blog/author/bree-noble#:~:text=Bree%20Noble%20is%20a%20music,Indie%20artists%20in%20all%20genres.
- “The Business Side of Music Podcast.” The Business Side of Music Podcast, https://www.businesssideofmusic.com/.
- “The Cheat Code.” The Cheat Code, https://thecheatcodepodcast.com/.
- “Creative Juice Podcast.” YouTube, YouTube, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpOAp_PK9GIVBG8J3xZ6WmD4EBc7rMX5N.
- “Episode Blogs.” Profitable Musician, https://profitablemusician.com/podcast/.
- “Music Business Hacks” Music Business Hacks Podcast. (2022 March 14). https://musicbusinesshacks.com/.
- “The Musician’s Guide Podcast.” Podcast. (2023 April 2). Karen Cubides Agency. https://karencubidesagency.com/the-musicians-guide-podcastlist=PLpOAp_PK9GIVBG8J3xZ6WmD4EBc7rMX5N.
- “The Musician’s Guide Podcast.” Apple Podcasts. (2023 March 22). https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-musicians-guide-to-being-healthy-wealthy-and-wise/id1440699268.
- “Music Marketing Manifesto Podcast.” Music Marketing Manifesto, https://musicmarketingmanifesto.com/podcast.
- “Music Production Podcast.” Brian Funk, https://brianfunk.com/podcast.
- “New Music Business.” Ari’s Take, 26 Jan. 2023, https://aristake.com/nmb/.